Monday, April 8, 2013

Blueberry and Lemon Buttermilk Pancakes

I'm on holiday this week and since I have a nice sunny flat I've been having heaps of people around for lunch!
Today a good friend is in town for the week and I've invited him for brunch. On the menu is lemon and blueberry pancakes.
I've started always putting lemon rind in my pancakes after a woman we stayed ith in Kenya did it. Its so subtle but makes them just that little bit more luxurious!
A friend who came for lunch earlier in the week brought me blueberries (Fresh and delicious!) so I'm working with what I've got.
You can always use frozen berries or any other fruit you have in the house. I prefer to keep my toppings simple, usually lemon and sugar or maple syrup (today I'm using golden syrup- a kiwi fav) and then stuff my pancakes full of fruit.
I'll also include a vegan option for this recipe.

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1c buttermilk**
2c flour
1/2c sugar
1tsp baking powder
1 lemon- juice and rind
Handful of blueberries (or other fruit)
Extra milk if needed
Butter or margarine for frying. 

**If you don't have buttermilk you can make it by pouring into a measuring jug 1 tsp of white vingar and topping it up to the 1 cup mark with regular milk. Leave for 5 mins and then use.

Method:
In a mixing bowl beat together the two eggs and add the buttermilk. Sift in the flour, sugar and baking powder and combine. Add milk until thin enough that it flows freely from your whisk or spatular but still retains a thick batter consistency.
Add lemon juice, rind and berries and fold through. 
Gently heat a frying pan, using a knob of butter for each pancake fry until bubbles appear then flip and fry until bottom no longer sticks.
First one is often a dud, as the pan is often not hot enough, so best to make it quite small.


The mixture can be made the night before and left covered in the fridge for best consistency.
It can also be stored in an airtight container and used over the course of a few days.

Vegan option: Swap eggs for 1 ripe mashed banana and buttermilk for soymilk (or almond, oat,rice etc). Swap the lemon for vanilla essence. 

Bon appetite!







No comments:

Post a Comment